Saturday, July 26, 2008

Easy Fish Chowder


I love seafood - any type of seafood - so in order to get more fish into my diet, many days for lunch I fix myself a concoction I've named "Easy Fish Chowder". While, my hubby and daughter aren't too fond of this chowder, I love it and usually eat it 2 to 3 times a week.

EASY FISH CHOWDER
--1 large potato, cut into bite-size chunks
--1/2 an onion, roughly chopped (any sweet onion that is in season)
--1 or 2 stalks celery (depending on your taste)
--1/2 cup chopped carrots
--1 piece of fish (tilipia, flounder, ocean perch, pollock, etc.)
--Season salt to taste
--1/4 cup of milk
--2 tsp grated Parmeasan cheese (optional)

In a large skillet, place potatoes, onion, celery, carrots and Season salt to taste in enough water to cover all veggies. Cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes; most of water will absorb. Then turn heat to medium and stir in milk; add fish to center of skillet and cover with veggies. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until fish is flaky.

Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle Parmeasan cheese over dish and your favorite fresh herbs (I like basil and dill for fish). Enjoy. This makes one large serving.

(PS: I realize all the cooking books say you should not add cheese to fish, but the Parmeasan cheese adds a special flavor that I enjoy!)

No comments: