Monday, July 14, 2008

Bobbi's Chicken Pot Pie









My family loves chicken pot pies, especially my homemade variety. I have individual baking crocks, so all 3 of us get our own pie. This makes it easy to adjust ingredients according to what everyone likes. For example, my husband isn't crazy about peas but he loves the chicken, so I put in less peas and more chicken. I like the veggies more than the chicken, so I put in more veggies and less chicken. There's nothing like making individual recipes that are quick and easy.

Bobbi's Chicken Pot Pie

--1 cup frozen peas, thawed
--1/2 cup frozen carrots, thawed (optional)
--1 cup potatoes, cut into cubes and parboiled for 10 minutes (I don't like frozen potatoes)
--1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut up
--1 can cream of chicken soup (I use low-fat, low-sodium)


Pie Crust
--1 cup flour
--3/4 teaspoon baking powder
--1/2 teaspoon salt
--1/3 cup shortening
--3 tablespoons ice water
--1 egg yolk, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. This recipe can be made in one 9" pie plate, or individual baking dishes. In your baking dish, combine veggies, chicken and soup.

To make the pie crust, mix flour, baking powder, salt, shortening and water in a bowl. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Layer over top of baking dish and brush with egg yolk. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes; top should be golden brown and bubbly near edges.

Tip: The pot pies may bubble over, so place baking dish on a lined baking sheet for easier clean-up

16 comments:

Nicole said...

Dinner is at 6pm - going to make the trip from NY?

Thanks for linking to me. Now I have to get check out your books links- my third favorite love after family and food :)

Laila Hussein said...

This looks soo yummy! I will surely try it out!

Stephanie said...

I love chicken pot pie! That looks so delicious.

Nonnas News said...

Here from SITS. That chicken pot pie looks delish!

katylinvw said...

found you thru SITS! this looks fabulous! :) looks like i found sunday dinner!

sassy stephanie said...

My kids love chicken pot pie. I will have to give this one a try.

~*Paty*~ said...

I think that's a really good idea to put them in individual crocks! They look yummy.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yummy goodness. Love comfort food!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Individual is so personal and these look so yummy and delish! Congrats on being featured and thanks for linking to Live.Love.Eat!!

Melissa Lester said...

Yum! Pot pies are the ultimate comfort food to me!

Sandi McBride said...

Sounds good to me...and easy peasy, too...
Sandi

Rhea said...

I love chicken pot pie...I have the frozen kind in my freezer right now, but yours sounds much better. :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Actually "from scratch!" Now that's impressive. I love the idea of individual crocks, too. Looks good.

Tam said...

congrats on the feature!

Jess NBP said...

YUMMY!!

Leslie said...

There is nothing better than a down home yummy pot pie!
I just found your site! Its just FAB I have to say!