Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Chicken Scampi


In an effort to wean my family off Chicken Helper and Hamburger Helper, I have been trying new recipes. Because chicken is the main meat we serve, I've been concentrating on easy, tasty chicken recipes. The following is my recipe for Chicken Scampi; my family gave it a "thumbs up".

Chicken Scampi
--1 1/2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (I use breast meat because my family prefers white meat)
--1 can cream of chicken soup
--1/4 cup water
--2 TBSP butter (can be low-fat margarine)
--2 cloves minced garlic
--2 tsp lemon juice
--your favorite cooked pasta (my family likes whole-wheat rotini pasta or spaghetti)

In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken pieces in butter (approximately 10 minutes). After chicken is browned, remove from skillet and set aside - do not rinse out skillet, you want the juicy bits. Stir in the soup, water, lemon juice and garlic and heat mixture to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for ten minutes. While scampi is simmering, cook pasta. Serve chicken scampi over pasta and enjoy.

No comments: