Thursday, August 21, 2008

Basic Breakfast Granola


In my quest to start eating breakfast (I've always been a non-breakfast eater), I'm trying out some different cereal and granola recipes. Here is my verison of a Basic Breakfast Granola - my family loves it and so do I:


Basic Breakfast Granola

--3 cupd regular rolled oats
--1 cup shredded unpeeled apple (I use apples from my backyard)
--1/2 cup wheat germ
--1/4 cup honey (from a local beekeeper)
--1/4 cup water
--1 tsp ground cinnamon
--1 tsp Vanilla
--Nonstick spray coating

In a large bowl combine oats, apple, and wheat germ; mix well. In a small saucepan stir together honey, water, and cinnamon. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and mix well.

Spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick spray coating. Spread oat mixture evenly in pan. Bake in a 325 degrees oven about 45 minutes or till golden brown, stirring occasionally. Spread onto parchment paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. (8 servings)

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I am going to try this. My husband just adores granola so I have been trying lots of different recipes. He has been having fun testing them all out.

Jams said...

This is right up my husband's alley. He loves this kind of thing.